You can help the Mediterranean Sea and marine life in general with these simple measures:
#1: Pay attention to your fish consumption – it is possible and pretty simple to enjoy eating fish in a sustainable way
#2: Limit the consumption of plastic ..
..bags, plastic bottles and other plastic products as much as possible, pick up plastic litter from the streets before it ends up in a river…and in the sea
#3: Contribute with your signature by signing petitions to protect the marine environment
- .. for example Oceancare’s petitions
- or start your own petition with Avaaz.org (they also have huge marine environmental petitions running)
#4: Instead of visiting a dolphinarium, take your children to go snorkeling or scuba diving
It is so much more fun, for yourself, your children AND especially for the animals. Believe me, it is like on a different planet down there!
#5: Use detergents, shampoo etc. conservatively or replace with natural products
#6: Help to increase awareness and spread the word..
- ..to your friends, family, people you meet – always in a respectful and tolerant way, because yesterday WE did not know either, and most people do care, but they just do not know
- tell the children, because they are the most curious creatures on earth and they will teach their parents : )
#7: Participate in beach clean-ups
- Clean-Up Events (Beach and Diving Clean Ups) can be found for example on the ProjectAware Action Map, but sometimes you have to search the nearest locations yourself online
Featured image: Thresher shark fatally caught in a fishing net, Mexico, Photo Brian J. Skerry, National Geographic Stock
You’d like to help and save the Mediterranean Sea: Donation Form
You don’t want to miss the next interview? Sign up for our not-so-high-frequency newsletter